and who, exactly, was St Ives?

according to those good people over at Wiki:
"Saint Ia of Cornwall (also known as Hia, Hya, Eia or Ives) was a 5th or 6th century Cornish evangelist and martyr. Ia was said to have been an Irish princess, a spiritual student of Saint Baricus; she travelled as a missionary to Cornwall - on, as legend has it, an ivy leaf - where she joined Saints Fingar and Piala and their 777 companions*. Ia was martyred on the River Hayle and buried at St Ives, Cornwall, where St. Ia's Church, St. Ives, of which she is now the patron, was erected over her grave. The town built up around it. "
can you see the church in the photo? the greenery behind it is where you'll find the Hepworth Museum. . .

*do you think this is where the number seven in the nursery rhyme comes from?

3 comments:

Mel said...

Such beautiful colours.....

I wondered if the postcard was 'enhanced' in how brilliant the colours were. Everything that I'm finding is telling me it's not...and the colours are just a part of the experience.
I should have ventured to St. Ives when we were in that part of the world....dangit.....

I, Like The View said...

the colours and the light are true

maybe one day you'll get back there. .

. . .I know I will

*fingers crossed*

in the meantime, I have the postcards, the books from the shop, the photos. . .

my memories!

(-:

mig said...

wow. the colours and the story. So who was Saint Baricus?